A Day in the Life of a Mom on Maternity Leave

As my maternity leave is coming to an end I thought it would be fun to share a peek inside a day in the life of Parker James and myself.

Our morning typically starts around 5:30am when I begin to hear those sweet coos from baby Parker and I know its time to get up.  I rub my eyes, crawl out of bed and head on over to his nursery.  I look down at my sweet boy and he instantly gets the biggest smile on his face when he sees me.  My heart melts.  I pick him up and smother him in kisses.  I then change his diaper and move to the couch to nurse him.  While Parker is nursing I’m on my cell phone flipping through my various apps (instagram, Facebook, emails, etc)

Parker in a milk coma

Parker in a milk coma

Once Parker is done with his morning nursing session he will usually doze off for a bit and I hop on the computer for more surfing around the net while I pump some milk for my freezer stash.

Around 6:30am Parker and I head out for our daily walk to Starbucks.  While there I happily greet my friendly Starbucks baristas as they already know what I order and are getting it ready for me (Its the little things in life).  Usually during our walk I call my mom to chat for a bit (daily calls to mom will never end) and Parker sometimes sleeps but sometimes doesn’t.  If he’s not asleep he’s happily looking around at the trees and leaves as we pass them by.


We get home and Parker is ready for his next mid-morning snack so I nurse him a bit while again playing on my phone to make the time pass by.  Its then time to make a small breakfast for myself.  I typically eat either a banana or some toast with almond butter.  I get dressed and begin to get things ready to leave (going anywhere with a baby requires much more additional prep time than before!)  I try to nurse Parker one more time so that he is full and happy then we head out around 8:30-9:00am for one of our various mommy and me fitness classes of the day.

After class we get home and mom showers quickly while dad and Parker play for a bit, then Parker has more snacks.  We cook up some lunch (or dad does) or we order in or sometimes head out to a local restaurant and have lunch with dad.  Dad leaves the house and depending on the weather for the day, if it is nice out Parker and I head out for a walk or run depending on our mood (After Parker has yet another snack).


We get home and Parker is usually ready for more snacks so we nurse again and at this point I may pop on the TV and plant myself on the couch for the remainder of the afternoon.  I found that on maternity leave while nursing a baby who likes to eat every 2 hours it is very easy to get sucked into Netflix for hours on end.  I watched the entire series of Greys Anatomy during my maternity leave and just caught up to the new episodes this week!


Parker and I spend the rest of the day playing and nursing.  Parker enjoys when I sing songs to him.  Some of his favorites are “The Itsy Bitsy Spider,” “Patty Cake,” and “Pop Goes the Weasel.”  Lately he’s a bit more active which is always exciting to watch.  I find that every week he enjoys new activities (He is currently loving laying on the floor on his back while grabbing at his feet and attempting to roll over).


Around 5:00pm-ish is usually when I start to get antsy from sitting on the couch for so long and will get up to clean or get something together for dinner.  With my master cooking skills (or in reality complete LACK of cooking skills).  Dinner is always a mystery and can be anything from a bunch of snacks I throw together or if I’m feeling ambitious an actual recipe that I will try from the internet.


Once dinner is done, I quickly try my best to clean up the kitchen while keeping Parker happy since night time is when he requires the most attention lately.  Around 8:00pm I start to get him ready for bed.  He changes into his PJs, we read a book, drink some milk and he goes into his crib.  This used to be a fairly easy routine with no issues, but with an ever-changing, ever-growing baby you never get used to a routine because they change it up on you quicker than you think.  So, nowadays bedtime has been a bit of a struggle over the last week but a little bit of patience and lots of love he eventually goes to bed (2-3 hours later).  Typically Parker wakes up once in the middle of the night for a snack which isn’t too bad compared to the newborn days of needing snacks 3-4 times throughout the night.


Then around 5:30am we start the day all over again.  Maternity leave has been a blessing and I have absolutely loved having this time to bond with Parker.  I wish it was longer and I wish I didn’t have to leave him, but that is life.  I can only be thankful that I was able to spend 16 amazing weeks with my baby boy.  They truly have been the most incredible 16 weeks of my entire life.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s